Let's get this blog started!

So I've been a keen sewing blog reader for a couple of years now. I love them. They are a constant source of entertainment, enjoyment and most of all, inspiration. It is also great to realise that you are not alone in this world with your particular passion. No one I knows sews clothes (Try saying that sentence three times fast - it has a touch of the Doctor Suess!) . Even my mum, who made all my clothes growing up, and is an excellent sewist, makes very few clothes these days (she's turned her talents instead to quilting).
I've been clothes sewing for a few years now. I would put myself in the Advanced Beginner category. I don't sew huge numbers of clothes - mostly because I don't need lots of clothes, also because with my other interests (see my other blog Spades and Spoons) and responsibilities I don't have time. Still I sew. And now, after thinking about it for a while, I'm going to blog about it.
How better to start the blog than with a bit of stash buying news? I went to the Remnant Warehouse and The Fabric Store in Sydney a few weeks ago. Exciting! Understand, I live on the South Coast of NSW, and my nearest only fabric store within cooee is Spotlight Nowra. I tolerate Spotlight. It's the only source of thread and notions nearby. Fabric? I'm convinced, having seen the finds that other people have at Spotlight, that the following conversation happens regularly at Spotlight HQ:
 
Person 1: Hmm..We have quantities of cotton sateen, poplin and voile. But some of them have the most hideous prints ever, what should we do with them?
Person 2: No worries! Send ém to Nowra!!
 
OK, maybe  I'm being a little harsh. I have bought fabric there at times, but rarely.
So yes, my occasional trips to Sydney to buy fabric are always Very Exciting Events indeed.
(Last year I was lucky enough to visit Fabric Nirvana ie. NY Garment District. It was the highlight of 4 weeks in the US).
 
So here is what I bought at the Remnant Warehouse. I've been meaning to get here for ages, finally I did. It was worth it:
 
 
Red cotton/linen remnant; 4 metres white cotton voile; 3 metres black cotton
 
White Italian cotton; Denim (derr..) Copper linen remnant
 
The black cotton is destined to be StyleArc's Melissa Pant (coming up soon on La Sartora). The red cotton/linen and the copper linen I'm thinking of combining in a loose colour-blocked dress. The denim will become a skirt, because my current denim skirt is looking a bit tatty. White Italian cotton - white shirts, I love them and nice cotton is so hard to find. And the cotton voile? It will probably end up underlining something.
I was really happy with that haul. Now, to the Fabric Store..
 
Only two fabrics. The fabric left is an ecru embroidered cotton - blouse written all over it. I had a bit of buyer's remorse about the fabric at right. The colour is a bit, er, muddy? What was I thinking? I've calmed down a bit though. I've decided it's going to be the jacket from the Japanese pattern book, Treasured Collection.
 
So there you have it. My first sewing blog post. If you want to know a bit more about me, visit my other blog - I've posted past sewing adventures there under the label Made by Me.
 
Ciao for now.

Comments

  1. Do I get to be the first comment on your new blog? :) I love your spotlight nowra "conversation" hehe! Can't wait to see what you do with all that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a commemorative certificate or something, but yes, you are my first commenter. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3