Grainline Scout Woven Tee

I wish this Grainline Studio Scout Woven Tee pattern had been around when I first started sewing. It's a great pattern for a beginner to hone some basic skills. And I'd have a series of them in my wardrobe by now. How useful is a plain t-shirt, after all? And I'd much rather wear a pure cotton woven at the height of summer. Far cooler than a knit, at least to me.
This is a simple, quick make, but I spent a bit of time fiddling with the fit. According to my measurements I cut a Size 12. I found the shoulders too narrow (unusual for me), so added 1.5 cm to the shoulder width, and compensated by scooping out the armseye at the side seam about 1 cm. Seemed to work ok.
Then, I did an FBA. I didn't want to add darts to this pattern, so experimented with the "pop technique"that Sandra Betzina outines in Fast Fit. Worked a dream for me. Love this technique - it gives you room for the bust with the extra with at the hem, or the need for darts. Check it out, especially if your FBA is a small one. I add 1 cm.
Then, I did a swayback adjustment taking out a wedge at the waist - 2 cm at centre back to nothing at the side seam.
Lastly, I lengthened the sleeve (cap sleeves do my arms no favours) and widened the sleeve at the hem by slashing from hem to sleeve seamline and spreading about 2 cm.
So, yeah, no pattern piece remained unaltered.
This is made from a cotton voile I found at Spotlight for $3 a metre - yes, I've bagged out Spotlight fabrics in the very first post on this blog. I will occasionally buy something, but heavens, you need to sift through a lot of polyester dross to get to something decent.
Once the fit issues were addressed, this went together quickly. I did french seams, for constructions and used my narrow hem foot to do the hems.
This plain pattern lends itself to all sorts of embellishments and pattern changes, don't you think? Tucks, pleats, ruffles down the front, contrast binding, ruffles on sleeves and hem, peter pan collar, contrast yoke for starters.
This pattern is a definite stayer.
 

Comments

  1. oh I love all the things you have sewed, you seem to be much more patient than me ;), and it shows in how nicely your clothes fit. That grey jacket looks lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cute little top looks beautiful on you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3