MBM - Vogue 1224, Christmas dress 2013

Since I started sewing for myself, I've made myself a Christmas dress every year. Christmas Day for our family involves heading up to my parents' place in Sydney on Christmas Eve, church, then getting up on Christmas Day morning for our traditional three P's  - presents, prosecco and panettone then seafood and salad on the back verandah for lunch with my brothers, their wives and our total of 9 kids. Then we flop in the pool.


So the dress is Vogue 1224, one of Pattern Review's patterns of 2011. The fabric came from my mother. We both bought lengths of this fabric from Pitt Trading a couple of years ago. I made my length into Burda 123-02-2008, pre-blog. The pattern review for that is here. Mum ended up giving me her length later on.  Yeah, I was a bit surprised she went for this print, it's a bit more out there than what she usually opts for. I love this print, so I was pleased to take it and put it to good use. The reds and greens, and the circle motifs give it a vaguely Christmassy look, I think.

This pattern has been reviewed 70 times on Pattern Review, so what can I say, but to agree with what a lot of reviewers found. Number one, it's chicky-babe in the nightclub short. So I added 3cm to the bodice, and a whopping 18cm to the skirt in length (I normally have to add about 5cm to skirt lengths to get that knee-length look).

I cut the bodice on size smaller that normal. I could have gone down two sizes, I reckon. One thing about the bodice as drafted is that where they mark the side seams leaves you with an armhole that is too big to my mind. Put it this way, I was flashing a lot of side views of my bra. So after I finished this, I had to sew the side seams a bit longer. This interferes with the batwing sleeve silhouette, but this doesn't bother me overly. If I had picked up this fault prior to completion, I would have been able to do a better job of this. C├ęst la vie.

Apart from that it was easy to put together. Here's the back view:


I was a bit worried that a straight skirt in a knit was asking for trouble given my body type, as I pack a bit of baggage into the boot. But I think that the blouse-y bodice kinda balances it out, and the lined skirt means that the skirt skims over the tricky bits. So yes, this passes the "do I look any good in this?" muster. Hope you agree.

And lastly...happy Christmas to all reading this, and a happy sewing 2014.



Comments

  1. Beautiful dress Paola. Love those colours on you and your alterations to this pattern certainly worked well. Perfect dress for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean, I'm pretty happy with this dress, I'm set for Christmas.
      Hope you have a lovely Christmas...

      Delete
  2. This is lovely- less flop on the sleeves is a definite win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the dress looked better on me after I sewed the side seams longer. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. This is really lovely! I agree that the bodice piece as-is needs to be lengthened, I like the slightly blousy look you have here. The print is beautiful, that's sweet that your mom gave you her cut of fabric too! I think it's great that you can wear a dress like that this time of year, I'm surrounded by snow and ice! Merry Christmas!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Rikki. I think Mum also had second thoughts about sewing a knit, something I don't think she has done before! Have a happy Christmas, surrounded by snow and ice! Sounds beautiful...

      Delete
  4. This is a great dress, very summery and very Christmassy. It should be perfect for Sydney!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping so. Have a happy Christmas in Adelaide!

      Delete
  5. What a great looking dress and perfect for the delightful Christmas rituals you've described. I hope you have a lovely time with your family and all the best for more sartorial adventures in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicity - hope you had a lovely Christmas too.

      Delete
  6. Great minds think alike! I was going to make this dress for Christmas but ran out of time and am looking at Pattern Reviews of it right now. Love your version and thank you for your review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw your version on Pattern Review. Fantastic print. Hope you enjoy your 1224!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Style Arc Autumn dress

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2