MBM - A Very Stripey Sewaholic Renfrew T-shirt

 
Last year sometime I bought 2 metres each of black-and-white stripe and orange-and-white stripe knit from Pitt Trading in Ramsgate. I made a Mandy Boat Neck tee in both, which left me with maddening remnants just shy of a metre. You know, too big to chuck, too small to do much with.
I have made the Sewaholic Renfrew multiple times now, mostly in pre-blog days, and it's become a TNT. I've made a couple colour-block versions of this pattern, as the cuffs, neckline and waistband all lend themselves to remnant use.
I thought I'd try out the Renfrew with my stripey knit remnants. I was prepared for a failure, as I wasn't sure that using the stripe on the vertical  for the bands would work, but I decided I was prepared to risk it.
A few posts ago, I was moaning about the fact that despite the Renfrew being a TNT, that the front was much longer than the back - 4 cm longer. Yep, tried but not too trustworthy it seems. I've analysed my pattern pieces, and I'm still no wiser as to why this happened. There was nothing for it in the end, but to chop off the excess. Actually, I don't mind the shorter length, so it wasn't a hassle.
The knit didn't have much lengthwise stretch compared to its crosswise stretch, but it didn't seem to matter. It all went together as well as normal.
Even though I'm comfortable with the fit, I constructed this on my conventional machine, rather than the overlocker. This is for two reasons: for one, I feel like I am more in control with the conventional machine.. For two, I don't like the feel of overlocked edges on t-shirts. I prefer to leave my seam allowances in knits unfinished, as I like the seam allowances soft. And they don't fray anyway, so why bother?
 
Here's the back...
 
 
While I am in confessional mode, I also use a normal universal needle, as opposed to a ballpoint or jersey needle, and use a normal straight stitch, not stretch or zigzag. It does not seem to make an iota of difference to my sewing.  Anyone else found the same?

Anyway, I'm really happy with my stripey Renfrew. It suits me - casual, simple with a bit of a twist. Even my normally taciturn 15 year old son said, "Looks good Mum".

And now for the gratuitous dachshund shot...

Comments

  1. Certainly does look good!
    I've been surprised how well a normal sewing machine works for some knits too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I was surprised too, as I used to use stretch stitch and ballpoint needles, until the salesperson when I bought my current machine, a Bernina, convinced me otherwise.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to hear you say you use a normal needle and a straight stitch too because I hate the look of the zig zag stitch but I'm such a novice at knits I've just been following the standard advice blindly. The Vogue wrap dress pattern has arrived too, thanks for sending it so quickly (now to find the right fabric for it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear the pattern got there safely:)
      The other thing I find is that a straight stitch in knits is much easier to unpick than a stretch stitch, should the need arise, as the stretch stitch seems to "melt"into the fabric.

      Delete
  3. Love your top, the mix of stripes, and it looks crisp and fresh. I also use universal needles and a regular stitch. I am on the hunt for some stripes like yours in almost any color and white. I found a wonderful high quality red and white remnant, oddly shaped, I am hoping to reek out a t.
    Congratulations, looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These remnants were very oddly shaped, I can assure you! That's the great thing about the Renfrew - you can eke out those bands out of small scraps. Very useful!

      Delete
  4. Years ago I took a Stretch and Sew (pattern company) course in sewing Ann Person's patterns for knits. The technique was to use two rows of straight stitching for seams. It always worked very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've read this too somewhere, as well.

      Delete
  5. I use a very narrow zig zag .5 wide and 2.5 long. Straight stitch doesn't work for me. My machine is very temperamental when it comes to sewing knits, I always try a universal needle, but sometimes/most of the time, I have to use a stretch needle.

    I love your top. Love. The Renfrew is my TNT now too, you gotta love that pattern. I think I have some striped jersey in my stash, I think I may copy/imitate your idea! I'm on the other side of the world so we won't see each other coming and going. 8-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can imagine that it would very much depend on your machine. My current machine is ok, but I can imagine my previous machine which was also temperamental would also give me a bit of grief with the straight stitch.
      Shame you live on the other side of the world. We could have a stripey Renfrew party!

      Delete
  6. Love your stripy Renfrew. I especially love the way you have sewn the bands with the stripes running the opposite way. Very effective. Now I am on the look out for some stripy knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I think the Renfrew is made for stripes. Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

      Delete
  7. Your top is so cute! I almost always use a universal needle when sewing knits, but I do put it on a very slight zigzag. I have a vintage machine, so for me that's about a 12 seam length and a 1 1/2 seam width. It reads as a straight stitch though. Surprisingly, my machine has given me almost no trouble sewing with knits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, it is impressive that a vintage machine copes well with knits. I've been trying to sew knits on my mother's 40 year old Bernina and it didn't like it a bit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Style Arc Autumn dress

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2