Of Awards and Other Things

It's been an interesting 24 hours or so here at Casa La Sartora. This is what has happened:

-My son set three records at his school swimming carnival - one record had stood since 1993! Go, Cam!
- After many months of looking (a saga I'd rather not go into here), I was finally offered a paying job! Yay!
-I was nominated for a Liebster award by Nicole at The Somnolent Dachshund. (Is there any other kind of dachshund?)

What I understand of the Liebster award is that you answer questions from your nominator, give some random facts about yourself, then nominate blogs with under 200 followers to continue. Seems like a great way to find out about bloggers and investigate new blogs that haven't come into your orbit. Sounds like a lovely idea, so let's get cracking...

Play-by-the rules or rebel?
Used to be straight up and down play-by-the-rules type. That's what being first-born,  pretty strict parenting and 13 years at Catholic schools do to you! However now prefer to think of myself as rebel in play-by-the-rules clothing, and becoming more of a rebel as time goes on.

Biggest influence on you today (book/movie/experience.. etc)
Motherhood.

Favourite guilty pleasure or reward
The bag of licorice allsorts I keep in the glovebox of my car. Shhh, don't tell the kids!

Advice/comment you'd give to your past self
1. Making mistakes is normal.
2. Don't waste time beating yourself up when you make them. Learn and move on!

Favourite food
Whatever I'm eating next! At this moment that's Ginger Chilli chicken with rice and steamed greens for dinner.
And I have a deep and abiding fixation on  Vietnamese food.

5 random facts about myself:
  • Contrary to gender stereotype, I am an excellent map reader, and have a good sense of direction.
  • I met my husband on a 10 day voyage on the Sail Training Ship "Young Endeavour". He reckons my map reading skill was one of the first things he noticed about me. This is the Young Endeavour, a gift from Great Britain to Australia for our Bicentennial in 1988:

  • I take a Size 12 shoe. My ridiculously large feet go with my ridiculously large hands.
  • Apart from sewing, I do oil painting - still lifes and landscapes.
  • I share my birthday, May 25, with  the Peggy Olsen character on Mad Men.

The lovely bloggers I would like to nominate (and I do hope they don't mind!) are:

Jean from Sew, Jean Margaret
Valerie from Valerie's Own Sewing Blog
Janine from Interrupted Sutures
Andrea from Fabric Epiphanies
And from Tbilisi, Georgia, The Itinerant Seamstress. Surely the sewing blogger in the most exotic location!

I've enjoyed all these blogs. Hope you do too.

Ok, my questions to these bloggers are:

1. What is your greatest achievement?
2. What motivates you?
3. What is number one on your bucket list?
4. You find $100 on the pavement. What do you spend it on? (It doesn't have to be sewing related!)
5. Summer or winter? Which do you prefer?

And don't forget 5 random facts about yourself you are willing to share!


Comments

  1. Thank you for nominating me and for introducing me to your blog. I have enjoyed reading back posts. Well done to your son on his swimming results! Being a mum of a dedicated swimming son, although only 10 years old, I know the hours in the pool that go into such results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know what you mean about the hours of slog swimmers put in. My son swims about 8 hours a week, not a lot by many standards. Everytime I watch a high level race I think about all the hours swum, not only by the competitors, but all the competitors at all the different meets they've swum to get there. Mind boggling!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for the nomination, and congrats on the job (and swimming records - wow!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, and the job offered has me very chuffed. I was starting to think I was on the scrap heap!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the job! Woohoo! Not an easy thing to do, get back into the workforce...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! No it hasn't been easy, especially in this area where unemployment is much higher than the national average. Got there in the end, though!

      Delete
  4. Well done for finding a job. I'm still hunting! And congratulations to your son for smashing that record. What a fantastic reward for all those hours of dedication. (My son is a rower, so I'm right there with you on that page.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Felicity - I was fast becoming one of those "discouraged unemployed" you read about in the papers. And thank you on behalf of my son - he does work hard.

      Delete
  5. Paola thank you so much for nominating me. I appreciate it but I'm snowed under with family issues at the moment and can't get things together enough to pass it on. I will check out the other blogs you mentioned though. Val.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No worries at all, Valerie. All the best to you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paola , THankyou so much for your award. I am sooo sorry I am tardy to reply though. I am going to try post something in the next 24 hours ! Anyway congratulations on your job. I hope you really enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello and thank you Janine. No deadlines, so no worry about being tardy. Look forward to your post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Paola. Thank you so much for nominating me. I feel very honoured. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. As you might have guessed by my absence from blogging over the past two months, life has been very busy. Just getting back to normal now. I always enjoy reading your blog and look forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 1