MBM - Style Arc Harper Jacket



Two posts ago it was Simplicity 2603 in Pine Lime Splice Merino. This time its the Style Arc Harper Jacket in Orange Fanta ponti purchased from Tessuti last year.
Kristy has already noted the similarities between Simplicity 2603 and the Harper. The differences really are minimal - slightly different cut of the front piece, a centre back seam on the Harper, different ways of finishing the back collar seam. Simplicity is styled for knits with drape. The Harper is designed for ponti knit specifically, and Style Arc sends you two pairs of large hooks and eyes when you purchase this pattern so you can hook the jacket closed.
The Clothing Engineer has done an exhaustive review on the nitty gritty of this pattern here. It was an easy enough sew, but I agree with her that the Style Arc's direction to sew a french seam on the back collar makes no sense - why a french seam on a fabric like ponti, when the seam is going to be enclosed anyway? Beats me.

This is how the Harper looks with one hook and eye closed. Not too bad, will probably wear it like this from time to time.



This is how the jacket looks with both hooks and eyes employed. Not a fan of this look, it obliterates my waistline and makes me feel top heavy. Erk.

Given that I've loved Simplicity 2603 in the three incarnations I've made, I'm surprised that I am not completely positive about this make. I think it's the ponti - it doesn't drape like a merino knit, of course, and just doesn't feel right made into this sort of style. Also the orange is pushing the edge of acceptable brightness even for me  I wore it to a function  a couple of weeks ago teamed with my Mabel skirt, and felt a bit conspicuous, in the inevitable sea of grey and black. And the ponti isn't warm, so as a person who feels the cold (my friends in polar vortex lands can have a chortle now) I'll have to pick my days to wear this one - days that are cool but not cold.
Here's something you may not have known about ponti - did you know it is fish sauce resistant? I wore this jacket to dinner at a local Vietnamese restaurant last Saturday, and the poor waitress dribbled a fair bit of fish sauce over my jacket arm as she was clearing the plates. Never fear, a few dabs with a napkin, and no one was any the wiser. Go forth and wear your ponti makes to Vietnamese restaurants with confidence!
So the Harper is feeling like a bit of a miss at this stage. I'll see how I can style it up  in different ways, that might change the way I feel about it. It's in the "we'll see" bin.

This post  brings to a conclusion the run of knit garments I've made. My next make is a Minoru. I've finally received my zipper from Zipperstop (Thanks again to Sharon, and others who pointed me in the right direction) so I have no excuse to procrastinate. I'm a little bit intimidated, because this will be the first lined jacket I've attempted. Wish me luck.


Comments

  1. I really like the orange on you, which is not something I thought I'd ever say about a fabric named orange fanta! I think the ponti gives it a bit more structure to the folds of fabric rather than just draping. Good luck with your Minoru!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hasten to say that I named this fabric Orange Fanta, not Tessuti, who probably had a much more cool name! I think I'm getting used to folds not drapes.

      Delete
  2. I keep having cravings for childhood snacks in your posts - please tell me your Minoru will be strawberry BigM! ;) I do like it with one hook closed & the asymmetrical draped opening. Hmmm, my current creation is a ponte jacket - it might be best if I plan to layer it over merino...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Strawberry Big M is giving me ideas. Or how about Twistie Yellow? The mind boggles. And yes, I would be planning on wearing your jacket with merino on days when the wind blows in from the Antarctic in Melbourne.

      Delete
  3. The orange really suits you Paola. Lovely colour to brighten things up. Quite refreshing...just like a Fanta. Looking forward to seeing your Minoru.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you:) I've muslined the Minoru and plan to cut it out today or tomorrow..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like this cardigan and love the colour. In the ponti it is a much more structured jacket/cardigan and I am very very interested to see where the hook and eyes go.

    Take your time with the Minoru, the sew along has a lot of great information and you know where we are if you get really stuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I've checked out the Minoru sewalong, I think I'll be doing so again as I sew the Minoru up. I have to keep reminding myself after sewing a few quick sews in knits that slow and steady wins the race!

      Delete
  6. I like it undone best but it does have an interesting structure and isn't it great to be able to have so many different looks? Gorgeous colour, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Felicity. I'll probably be wearing this undone most of the time I think.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Style Arc Autumn dress

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2