Planning

I’m “calmly and methodically” (as our Federal Government tells us it is governing, again and again, and again) plugging away at the Minoru, and touch wood, should have something to show next weekend.
Meanwhile, though, as ever I’m planning upcoming projects in my head. And really, I think half the fun of sewing is in the planning. Would anyone agree?
No urgency in the day-to-day wear section of my wardrobe, but I have two events coming up in the next  few months that require attention.
At the end of August I’ve been invited to a fundraising lunch. The kicker is that the guest speaker is Cate Blanchett. Yep, ethereal beauty, style-icon Academy Award winning Ms Blanchett. Now, not being a lady who lunches (I am though, a lady to enjoys her lunch J) I have no idea as to appropriate wear for this event.  The compounding issue is that I am sure my fellow attendees will be putting their best style feet forward, so the pressure is on.
I'm probably crackers for even be considering sewing for this event. But my Minoru sewing has me on a sewing confidence high, so I am considering making a pants suit. A safe choice maybe, but I have some dark aubergine wool/rayon blend I bought in New York in 2012 which would be perfect.
The likely jacket is McCalls 6441, a lined princess line jacket with zip front. The construction looks doable. The challenge will be in the fitting.



The pants could be any one of a few candidates from back issues of Burda, or these Cameron Flare Pants from Named Patterns. Just wondering whether that flap in front is such a good idea, though. And I will definitely omit the back pockets. But it  needs a fabric with good drape, and my fabric has it.



If I have time, I have some coral crepe de chine, that I may make into this pattern from new-to-me pattern company In House patterns. The pattern is drafted for a D-cup (hey, that’s me) and I think this is fundraising lunch style. Dressy and pretty.



Event Number 2 is my youngest brother’s wedding mid-October. It is an afternoon/evening cocktail affair, in my parents’garden (Mum and Dad have a lovely garden).  This throws up a few fashion challenges. As one who feels the cold, my main concern is that I will be warm enough. Cocktail wear is not normally associated with warmth, but if I’m cold, I’m not happy, no matter how many champagnes I’ve had. Mid-October is a bit hit and miss for weather in Sydney . It could be freezing, it could be balmy. I definitely need to plan for a wrap,  and perhaps a merino wool slip in case the wind blows in from the Antarctic. Glamorous, I know!
So my starting point is this blue and gold wrap, which used to belong to my mother-in-law.


I love that blue and gold together. I’d like to find some of that blue in silk dupion to match, or else a nice green or blue to tone.  I’ve been thinking about making the By Hand London Anna Dress, which I’ve been keen to make for a while now . It will also accommodate a merino slip , something I’m not sure the pattern designers considered .


Then again, this week I picked up May 2014 Burdastyle from the newsagent, and was immediately smitten with this dress.



It is a tall person pattern (hey, that’s me again), and apart from having to adjust the plunging neckline north, I love it. Love the skirt, the bodice and the sleeve. Everything about it.

So an ambitious programme coming up for me, but I’m up for it. One challenge will be completing three high-end items by the end of August for the lunch. The next challenge will be fitting that jacket and dress bodice, as a lone sewist. Both require careful fitting, and I really could do with one of those fabled fitting buddies here. Or I could become a contortionist.

Stay tuned.

Comments

  1. That Burda dress is lovely,and would be perfect on you. A lunch with Cate Blanchett is very exciting, I think your planned garments are just right for the occasion and lucky you are slim enough to carry off those pants with the angled fly. I had a mid October wedding and it was 30+ degrees that day, so you never know what weather you'll get in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. October weather can go any way - I know it was pretty hot last year in October, I think that's when the Blue Mountains bushfires happened.

      Delete
  2. Lovely plans!!! I do love planning outfits & garments, it's the most fun bit! Your pantsuit & that gorgeous blouse look wonderful. I also wish I was closer to help with the fitting ;( Maybe some of the NSW crew might magically appear?... Your jacket is a classic & I'm getting a near identical one fitted at Tessuti's class in a fortnight - now if only we were twins! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be great? I might have to traipse up to Sydney once or twice in the next month or so just so my mother can pin me into the jacket.

      Delete
  3. Oh at least half the fun of sewing is e planning! And having a stash makes it even more fun! Your plans sound lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I keep telling my husband..a stash is a marvellous thing.

      Delete
  4. Go for it! The dress is really elegant - I've noticed with envy (I'm 5'2" :D) that Burda have been doing some really nice things in tall sizes recently. Also, the slanted flap on the pants is a cool design touch, and I agree with Kirsty - it would look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just happened to pick up the May issue of Burda, so I struck it lucky there. Thanks for the vote of confidence in the pants pattern too. I'm keen to try Named Patterns, and liked the Cameron pants immediately, and not just because it's my son's name.:)

      Delete
  5. I am looking forward tremendously to seeing your completed garments and pictures of your very exciting big days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Now I've outed myself, I really need to get a wriggle on..

      Delete
  6. Well planned outfits Paola. Looking forward to seeing the finished garments. They all should look wonderful on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just hope I'm up to the task I've set myself...

      Delete
  7. Fantastic plans and I look forward to seeing the finished garments. Take your time and enjoy the journey. Cate is gorgeous, we saw her a lot when she was in charge of The Sydney Theatre Company, she is so down to earth and amazing all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great advice, Sharon. I'll have to keep reminding myself to take my time, especially when the going gets challenging. Very much looking forward to seeing Cate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3