2014 - sewn and done


Zip-whoosh, that was the sound of 2014 done and dusted. 

Sewing-wise, it’s been a pretty good year. I haven’t sewn a lot. Just 32 garments in all – I’ve a couple of things unblogged and have spared you  my recent renditions of the Renfrew. The pleasing thing was that what I did sew was either useful, or something I really liked, or a satisfying sew, or all three. The only true wadder was the first attempt at the Maria Denmark Olivia Tee, in which I tried to sew a striped tee with fabric that had stretched off grain. It was never going to work, and it didn’t. Into the ragbag it went without delay.

The highlights of 2014 for me were:

Finding a comfortable dress



  The Maria Denmark Edith was my first make of the year, and I followed it up with another version shortly after. I love both my Ediths – the dress I wear when I don’t feel like wearing a dress.

Making a lined jacket 
I set myself a goal at the beginning of 2014 to make my first lined jacket and the Sewaholic Minoru was it. It ticked all the boxes – a successful sew, to make a jacket I wore a lot.

Wrestled McCalls 6441 into submission
Off the back of Minoru, I set about making another lined jacket, McCalls 6441.  I did whinge a lot on the blog and to McCalls themselves about the ridiculous amount of ease  and the laughably wrong finished pattern measurements. But I gritted my teeth,  and got a nice simple little jacket out of it in the end to wear for those infrequent occasions when a nice simple jacket is the ticket. Not the sewing experience of 2014, but in a perverse way, satisfying.
I’m still never going near a McCalls pattern again, though.

 Liesl + Co Girl Friday culottes


I loved them in 1989, and in 2014 love them still. Making these culottes necessitated some quick sewing to make some matching tops, but once I did, the love affair has rekindled. Just as comfy and practical as I remember (although slightly sobering to realise that I am at an age when I remember fashions the first time around. Eek.)


The last few months have had slim pickings on the sewing front for many reasons – seasonal craziness (my theory is that time goes to double speed once the Melbourne Cup is run until Christmas), another prolonged bout of viral vertigo (the second this year) and just the general feeling of not needing or wanting anything particular. I’m pretty happy with my wardrobe. I don’t often have “what will I wear” moments, which in the past has been a big prompt for me to sew. I see lots of possibilities, lots of patterns I like, but at the moment am not itching to sew them. Strange.

I’m not going to set myself any particular sewing goals in 2015. It’s shaping up to be an interesting year: we’ve just bought a block of land and will probably start the building process this year, and I am returning to study (part-time, still working). Time will be short. We’ll just have to see how things pan out .


Thanks to everyone who takes time to comment in 2014.  We sewing bloggers share such a wonderful, rich interest. I love reading so many sewing blogs, and I enjoy putting together the little contribution I make.

Happy 2015 to all.

Comments

  1. Good wishes to you. Sounds an exciting year. Make sure you put in your order for a sewing room ! What will you be studying ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine. Don't worry - a suitable room for sewing is a priority for this house.Last year I started a new job in the disability sector, so will be studying for certificate quals in this - nothing too onerous, just time consuming.

      Delete
  2. You've made some great garments this year. I'm a bit the same with my sewing and wardrobe too- only a few holes left to fill with sewing. Until they wear out of course! And waiting for that to happen hasn't completely slowed me down.
    The Japanese sewing book arrived the other day. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided a project for my daughter is probably the way to get myself back into the swing, seeing as I don't particularly need anything for myself..
      Good to know the sewing book arrived safely - happy sewing!

      Delete
  3. You have made some lovely garments in 2014 Paola. I particularly love your Edith dresses and I have recently bought the pattern to make my own. I have enjoyed following your blog and look forward to seeing what you get up to in 2015. Looks like it's going to be a busy year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm sure you'll enjoy making and wearing the Edith. I'm wearing the floral one right now.

      Delete
  4. You certainly have a very exciting year planned and wish you all the very best for 2015. I You made some lovely garments in 2014 and I look forward to seeing your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. Actually, your own wardrobe sewing posts have really inspired me, and I'm starting to think about making a wardrobe along the same lines.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your sewing Paola, you have inspired me to try harder to sew this year. And I'm going to try to sew properly (not just jump in and have a go, like I usually do, and make a mess of it), but I haven't really been taught anything past sewing a bag and an apron in primary school, so I am relying on the internet to teach me dress-making. That is a massive hint if you're keen to do some very basic how-to posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! Good luck with your sewing in 2015. I think you are on the right track with relying on the internet to teach you to sew. I had some basic knowledge of sewing, but learning to make clothes for myself came mostly from the internet. I can highly recommend online classes. I did a few through Pattern Review and now there are classes on Craftsy too. Doing those classes really got me off to a flying start.
      Look forward to anything you do this year.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Paola - I've really enjoyed reading your blog this year - you've inspired me with quite a few of your garments and look forward to your adventures in 2015, as well as more sneak pics of Dash ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too. And you will not be able to avoid further dachshund photos, I think!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 1