MBM - Burdastyle 09-2011-128, in Liberty print

A couple of years ago, I made Burdastyle 09-2011-128, a sleeveless blouse with neckline pleats in cotton pique. I didn’t wear it much, but over the past few months, it suddenly makes sense in my wardrobe.  I’ve been wearing it a lot and I don’t know why.  Has this ever happened to you?
Anyway, it was time to make another..

Some random thoughts on this make:
·         This project reminded me of one reason I keep a blog. There was no record anywhere of what I encountered in making the first blouse. I didn’t even keep the pattern pieces, which is uncharacteristic of me. I was starting from scratch, albeit with a finished blouse to refer to.
·         Going on my hazy memory and the fit of the first blouse, I made an FBA, and slashed and spread the back and front to deal with a slightly high armseye.
·         This pattern is drafted very long. The photo in Burdastyle shows the model with this blouse  tucked in. Where all that fabric is going, I have no idea.


·         I didn’t have enough fabric to add a 4cm hem, so I did without and planned to use bias binding to make the hem. Didn’t need it. I ended up cutting off 10cm from the length to get to this length, which is still pretty long.
·         I don’t remember dealing with a lot of ease on the first blouse. I did with this. There is certainly more than I have on the first blouse. I took out about 10cm from the side seams, and it is still too loose for my taste. Slightly underwhelmed by this, but on the other hand it will be the sort of loose and airy garment for hot, humid days.
·         Since I had the same experience with my last project, the Colette Patterns Laurel, I wonder if it is time to measure myself again?
·         This blouse could really do with a CB seam, but I didn’t want to interrupt the pattern. It’s a bit blousy at the back.
·         This fabric was a Liberty cotton I purchased from Tessuti just over a year ago. I bought it because of the finely detailed peacock feather print. I love it.




  • The pattern match isn't too bad, given I was really eking this blouse out of the fabric I had.
·         I spotted this fabric in a shirt worn by the character played by Chris O’ Dowd in the movie Cuban Fury. I was very excited. It is the only thing I remember about that film. (I tried to find a picture on the net. Couldn’t. You’ll just have to trust me on that one. From memory it is in a scene at a dance club toward the end.)
·         I’m wearing this with denim capris I found at Vinnies. They cost me $3, brand new with tags. That find was also very exciting. I’m easily excited.



So readers, do you:
  • Dutifully measure yourself before every project, or wing it like me?
  • Get excited when you spot a fabric from your stash out in the real world or in the movies?Have any good "spots"to share?

Let me know!


Comments

  1. I really like the neckline on this blouse; very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this pattern has a very interesting neckline construction.

      Delete
  2. Very pretty fabric and those capris were a fantastic find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you get lucky at Vinnies. Not that often though!

      Delete
  3. Lovely fabric. I remember this blouse! I made one too, but found the neckline gaped a bit. Yours, however, looks perfect!
    Yes, I get excited to see "my" fabrics on other people. Yes I don't always measure before jumping into sewing. Sometimes with disastrous results...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the neckline fit required no special intervention from me.

      Delete
  4. This is one of my favourite Liberty prints - I got as far as getting 2 swatches from Tessuti, in the aqua & ?grey, couldn't decide & didn't buy any - silly! I love this blouse, and a looser fit sounds divine for summer. Love the capris, and a good find ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great print. I'm not too fussed on Liberty prints in general, but I nabbed this one as soon as I saw it!

      Delete
  5. Very pretty Liberty print and your blouse looks lovely with your capris.

    If it is a new pattern to me, I do measure it or at least overlay it on one I have already made, sometime all that excess is just too much work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise advice, Sharon, one I think I'll need to follow next time, as yes, getting rid of that excess fabric is rather tedious.

      Delete
  6. I like this on you, very light and looks cool to wear, yet with a back collar. You and Sue have inspired me to make one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Style Arc Autumn dress

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2