MBM - Pyjamas, featuring Tessuti Kate top
First of all, I must say it feels slightly odd to be modelling in my pyjamas for the blog. A bit less odd than modelling this swimsuit, but still..
I started on the pyjama pants back in April, after noting my favourite RTW pjs were heading inexorably for the rag bag. But then the weather turned cool and I put them to one side. The fabric, both the main fabric and the contrast band fabric, came from Remnant Warehouse.
The pattern was traced from my pants block,
My favourite bit of these pants is the part you don’t see: the contrast fabric used on the inside of the elastic casing. I copied idea this from my RTWs.
I cut a Medium based on my measurements, then made a few standard adjustments for me: dropping the bust dart an inch, an FBA of about 3cm all up, and lengthening the pattern by 5cm. This top is described as being cropped, and they mean it!
One thing that was a little odd was that the piece for the neck binding was about 15cm too short. I’m pretty sure this is not user error, as there was only one piece for neck and arm binding for both Views A (this one) and B. So I had to sew on another piece of fabric to make the binding long enough. Just watch out for that one. (I emailed Tessuti to query this – perhaps it is user error after all - but haven’t had a reply).
The fit on this first version is ok but needs a few tweaks for the next version:
- The bust dart is in the right place, but needs to be about an inch longer;
- There are some slight draglines around the bust, which tells me I’ll need to make a bigger FBA next time
- I’d like the length to be longer again - I'll probably add another 5 cm to the length.
Sharon has also made the Kate and observed that this pattern works best with a fabric with a bit of drape. I agree with her. This cotton is a bit too beefy, though good for pjs. I plan to make another very soon in crepe voile, which I think (hope) will be a better choice.