MBM - useful Tessuti Kate

Two posts ago, I blogged about Tessuti Kate, made up in a textured cotton as a pj top. This was the wearable muslin for a shell top I had in mind, specifically to wear under my Tessuti Silva shirt-jacket.
So here it is..

This is View B of the pattern, which has a higher round neck and a faced back opening.
After making the pyjama top version, I made a few further fit changes:
  • ·        I added another 5cm in length, for an additional 10cm length addition overall from the original draft. I am 5’9” with a rather short waist, and I prefer my tops this length overall.
  • ·        I added another 1cm FBA, for a 2.5cm FBA overall (that is, each side).
  • ·        I lengthened the bust dart an inch.

The fabric is a cotton crepe voile that popped up on the Tessuti website in time for the recent on-line sale.  It was lovely fabric to work with, and had the amount of drape this top needs. I’ve come to  realise I can do slightly boxy shapes if the fabric has drape, so it doesn’t sit out too much from the body.

One thing that didn’t really occur to me before making this is bra-friendliness. This view has some potential  from bra-strap show, so a slight redraw of the shoulder line to add a bit of width is warranted in the next  iteration.

With Style Arc Tessa pants
I also have in mind another version of Kate with sleeves.  I’ve never added sleeves to sleeveless patterns before, so I’m off to investigate. I know Sandra Betzina addresses this in Fast Fit – anyone know of any other resources out there to help me on my way?



Comments

  1. I love the Kate pattern, as it's winter here it isn't enticing yet. Maybe this summer. I do have a few links for you re adding sleeves to a sleeveless top. Here goes.

    http://modestprom.com/add-sleeves-to-sleeveless-dresses
    http://blog.mccall.com/2015/05/05/how-to-add-sleeves-to-a-sleeveless-pattern/
    http://www.merricksart.com/2014/09/diy-friday-adding-sleeves-to-sleeveless.html?m=1
    http://www.craftstylish.com/item/7864/create-a-custom-sleeve-pattern/page/all

    Good luck, and looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to post these links. I appreciate it! Some homework reading there for sure!

      Delete
  2. Lovely top. The fit looks great and I love the cut in armhole look too. Beautifully sewn side slits again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks lovely on you and I would consider bra strap holders as the cut in arm hole looks so lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right about adding bra strap holders. I do like the cut as is - it would be a shame to fiddle about with it and mess it up :)

      Delete
  4. I can see why you are happy with this version of Kate all the pieces fell into place. Like you if the fabric has the right drape boxy tops are good but getting the fabric right at times is a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, sourcing drapey fabrics in natural fibres is something of a constant for me. They aren't all that easy to find, but I struck gold with this. I just wish I bought a couple more metres!

      Delete
    2. That's true, sourcing drapey fabrics in natural fibres is something of a constant for me. They aren't all that easy to find, but I struck gold with this. I just wish I bought a couple more metres!

      Delete
    3. That's true - sourcing drapey fabrics in natural fibres isn't easy! I just wish I'd bought a few more metres of this find.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3