2017 sewing resolutions

At this time of year, I enjoy reading yearly sewing Roundups, and resolutions people have for their sewing in the New Year.
I’ve done Roundups in the past, but as 2016 was such a patchy year sewing-wise, I’ll pass this year. Suffice to say I made some things I liked a lot – Paprika Patterns Jasper, for example – and I had some big fat fails, most unblogged. Swings and roundabouts.

As for resolutions, I’ve decided to declare two:Trendy jean, denim or woven jacket

1.      I will make a Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket this year.

This project has been hovering in the queue for years. There’s something about this project that intimidates me into procrastination though. I don’t know why. The need is there – my 15 year old RTW jacket has faded to almost silver, and is fraying around the collar and cuffs.
I have the pattern. I have the perfect denim. I have the buttons. I have everything but the courage.
I will definitely have to ask my mother if I can borrow her machine, so I can have one machine threaded up for topstitching. Switching back and forth would mess with my head far too much.
So there’s a declaration of intent that I hope will make me accountable. Watch this space.

2.     Jazz up my blog design.

My off-the shelf blogger template blog design is so boring, it bores even me.
Over the four years of life of this blog, I’ve attempted to address this at various times, but as someone with zero computer design skills, these attempts have come to nothing.
I don’t want a particularly fancy blog design – a nice header might be good for a start.
I’ve asked computer nerds of my acquaintance (all men) for advice and they look at me blankly. I’ve tried to pick the brains of a professional  web designer, and even offered them money, but they weren’t interested in working with me on my tiny little blog. I’ve googled and YouTubed and found some guides to working with blogger layout (do this,..this..this..it’s easy!) but not easy enough for me.

So I’m putting it out there…someone…anyone…is there any advice out there for someone who wants to jazz up there blog, but doesn’t have the skills to do it. As I indicated, I’m even prepared to pay to have someone do it. Just how is the question.

I normally don't make resolutions, but these two projects have been hovering around the to do list for so long, I thought it might work to make them resolutions. I hope by the end of 2017, I can tick them off as DONE!

Comments

  1. I paid Alex from http://www.whenallyouneedis.com/ to give my blog a fabulous upgrade. I think she lives in Leura now. She was fantastic to work with on all aspects, price, design, colours etc. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that, Emma. Your blog looks the goods to me, I will follow up.

      Delete
  2. I really like the lines of the Jean Jacket and with the two machines it will make it much easier to sew.

    Thank you Emma for pointing out Alex, I have also been thinking of changing mine, so this could be perfect for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen so many great Stacies, I'm confident I'll be happy with it get down and sew it! Hopefully :)
      Good luck with redesigning you blog too.

      Delete
  3. You can buy some pretty nice templates from Etsy quite cheaply which are apparently easy to install and customise. The only problem is that there are too many to choose from!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy. I would never have thought to check out Etsy for a blog template.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing what you sew! I will have a sewing room soon and may get time to join in finally! Did younsee my post on blogger? Email me if you get stuck.... http://eight-acres.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/blogging-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to your post, Liz. IT goes to the information I am looking for - lots to get my head around, thank you!
      Very exciting to have your own sewing room. I found a dedicated space was a key to sewing regularly, and my standard improved a lot as a result.

      Delete
  5. You will love the Stacie Jean Jacket Paola, and you will kick yourself for not having made it sooner. I am like you too, with zero computer design skills. I even had to read "Blogging for Dummies" before I had a clue how to even start my blog. Good luck with both resolutions. I will be watching with interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Jean. I wear my RTW jacket a lot, and Stacie looks much nicer. I aspire to sew a Stacie as nice as either one of yours.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3