MBM - Style Arc Adeline

When I saw Style Arc’s Adeline pattern on its release last year, I pegged it immediately as the ideal candidate for a Christmas dress.  With a lack of waist definition, it is Christmas lunch friendly, and loose enough to withstand inevitable Christmas Day heat in comfort.
I chose some linen I had in the stash bought from Tessuti online about 2 years ago.
This was what Tessuti called Wainscot linen, and the colour was described on the website as “Indigo”. On the monitor it looked to be a mid-dark blue.   Well, indigo turned out to be more sky blue than I bargained for, so the pants I had planned got shelved. Fortunately, though, to me there is no such thing as bad linen, so I knew that if the fabric just marinated in the stash for a while, I would eventually find some use for it. This was just one of many surprises I’ve had with purchasing linen online.
I made Adeline pretty much as is out of the packet, except I added 3cm in length because frankly,  I don’t like showing my kneecaps to the world.  And I blatantly ripped off Lara’s idea, and trimmed the pockets with selvedge because the selvedge was prettily multi-coloured, so it seemed rude not to.


I had ideas of doing flat fell seams for the shoulder and centre back  seam, but was running out of time so did plain vanilla ones instead. I normally love a centre back seam to help me address my swayback, but in this case I just sewed it up as drafted, and am not sorry I did.


I like the pronounced high/low thing happening at the hemline. Although the dress has a cocoon shape, it’s not so much that it inhibits normal walking. If it did, it would be a “fail” in my book – who needs a dress that you can’t walk naturally in?



Anyway, I really like how this dressed turned out. It did it’s job on Christmas Day admirably, and garnered an admiring comment from one of my fashion conscious sisters-in-law. So, yes, a  win there.



Comments

  1. Ooh it is a lovely dress , the colour and fit and style are perfect for our hot summers. PS I could steal your sandals too. Did your SIL know you sewed the garment. Always a bonus when a fashion conscious person gives positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine. Those sandals are my favourites. They are a couple of years old now, and starting to show wear, but I haven't been able to find anything remotely like them in my size (12), so I'm only wearing them when I'm not expecting to do a lot of walking.
      My SIL knows I sew, and is one of those who is slightly bewildered as to why anyone would bother to sew. Her comment went along the lines of "great dress, looks like you bought it!". I take that as a compliment!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is lovely Paola. I want to make one in linen now. Such a pretty blue and the selvedge trim on the pocket looks fabulous. The longer length works very well with your height too. You must be so pleased with this dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very pleased. I'm thinking along the lines of a version in rayon a bit like the ones you have made recently.

      Delete
  3. It looks great! This pattern is on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! So many covetable Adeline dresses in my blog feed. Looks like I should add this pattern to my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - I don't think I've seen a version of Adeline that I wouldn't gladly wear. Definitely one for the wish list.

      Delete
  5. Another lover of linen and your dress looks so fresh and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 3