MBM - Style Arc Rae Tunic

First of all, thanks for those of you who answered my plaintive cry for pointers as to how to jazz up the design of this blog for 2017. I now have a few leads that I hope to follow up in the coming weeks. Again, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, and... watch this space.

On to the sewing...

One of the many things I like about sewing Style Arc patterns is the “buy one, get one free” pattern buying policy they have. Sure, the “free” pattern offered isn’t always to my taste, even when Style Arc offers a choice. I’ve been known to hold off on a pattern purchase to see whether the patterns offered in the following month suit me better. Anyway, I do have Style Arc patterns that I’ll probably never make up, but by the same token, patterns come in the front door that I probably would never have considered, but should have.
The Rae tunic, which was the free pattern for November is an example.

Super easy tunic top with fashionable split sleeveI purchased Adeline, and chose Rae, as my free pattern with no real intention of making it. By the time I received it though I’d been invited to a barbecue with a black-and-white theme, and the Rae struck me as perfect barbecue attire, and easy enough to sew up quickly.

Here's the Style Arc blurb:

The curved hemline and the, so popular, split sleeve give this great tunic top an easy, casual look. Simple to make with an all in one sleeve and body, this tunic will become your go to top to wear for all occasions

I really had to make something, too, as I have very little black or white, and no black-and-white in my wardrobe. I just don’t think I look that good in either. I have one pair of black bengaline pants, and a pair of RTW white linen pants, seen in the photos. I also have a long sleeve and sleeveless Granville, both in off white, which wouldn’t really work for a backyard barbie. Apart from that, nothing.





I purchased this dandelion print rayon at Spotlight. Love the print. Yes, I know, I moan about Spotlight frequently, but I have no other fabric store  choice locally!  I always live in hope that this time it will be ok, and sometimes it is. Fingers crossed with this one.
The Rae is a really easy sew. The cold shoulder thing is simply a split seam, so if cold shoulders aren’t your thing, you just have to sew the seam closed.
I made absolutely no changes to this pattern which is not that usual for me, and it fits ok.
This is the fourth split curved hem  I’ve sewn this year, which you don't really see in these photos - sorry.  Luckily I like them a lot.

I wore the Rae with the white linen pants, and it was perfect for the barbie on a bit of stinking hot day (and how many of them have we had so far this year? This morning it was 31C at 6am for crying out loud! I’m a bit over summer). And for once, I am wearing a trend when it's trendy, and not 2 years later which is my usual style.

Comments

  1. Very nice! I started sewing this top in the holidays but my fabric choice was awful and it got tossed in the corner. I must try this again soon. Your fabric choice is ideal for this top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rayon works well for this top. HOpe to see your version soon.

      Delete
  2. Well done! Love the fabric. Spotties have upped their game recently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have to agree the fabrics on offer have improved. I wish they would do more good quality plains fabrics though.

      Delete
  3. yes - perfect for this sweltering southern hemisphere summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - this pattern is good for that!

      Delete
  4. Great looking top and your fabric choice is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really lovely! I wish my nearest Spotlight had nice things like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed not all Spotlights offer the same selection.

      Delete
  6. I definitely wait to buy Style Arc patterns when the free one is something I like - although last year I got sick of waiting and just bought them online instead during their sale (yet to be made though). I think the fabric is a perfect choice - sometimes Spotlight does have some good fabrics despite all our moaning about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to concede that Spotlight does have some good fabrics, but it helps if you are discerning enough to spot the good ones. I'm not a fan of their ponte (too stiff and plastic-y) or their sateen (stretches out of shape too easily). But I've had luck with their voile, poplins and some rayon. And they stocked a stretch crepe at one point that I wish they'd bring back. It was fab.

      Delete
  7. Your top is adorable! I really love this style and fabric choice. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 1