MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

My first Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic proved to be a bit of a hit, so it wasn’t long before I was planning another. And here it is…

The fabric is Liberty Tana Lawn in The Atrium Pink. From a distance the design looks like an abstract floral, but up close it is covered in 20s flappers, apparently in the atrium of Liberty’s London store.

The pink colour choice is not  usual for me – I have no other pink in my wardrobe. I'm just not a pink girl. However, I really needed a pink item, as I was invited by a friend to go to the Members stand on the third day of the cricket Test between Australia and Pakistan. The Sydney Test has become known recently as the pink Test in support of the Jane McGrath Foundation, a breast cancer support charity. And the third day of the Test is when everyone (women and men ) is encouraged to wear pink, so I really needed a pink item to “get with the program”.
This version was as straightforward a sew as the first version. I made no fit changes whatsoever. The only change I made was to use the alternative collar, a simple collar stand, and I experimented with interfacing with self-fabric for the first time. I was really happy with the finish, and it wasn’t any more work than using a fusible, so I’ll do that again in finer fabrics. I mentioned to Mum that I did my first sew-in interfacing, and Mum said she was yet to use a fusible. Different generations, different techniques. (Mum’s overlocker sits unused. She doesn’t sew knits, and she finishes seam allowances the 60s way – turn and stitch! And she hasn't sewn in an invisible zip yet, even though I've offered to give her a lesson. Still, if I sewed in a conventional zip as well as Mum does, I probably wouldn't change either.)
I’m pretty happy with this version, although I think I prefer wearing the first version.  The sleeves are a little tight around the elbow in the firmer weave of the lawn. There is no tightness around the elbow in  my rayon version. The pink is still pretty good though.

We had a great day at the cricket, and it was great to see a substantial amount of money raised to support women with breast cancer. 



Comments

  1. It's beautiful and you look great. I love pink but hardly wear it either. I've started using fabric as interfacing on lighter fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shirt and I love that fabric. Pink suits you too. I've yet to sew a Liberty fabric but it's on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely in pink with the mix of white and those "20"s flappers" are very good at hiding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

Me Made May 16 - Week 3