MBM - Another go at Tessuti Frankie

After the first version of Tessuti Frankie, I looked to make another quickly, to see if I could address the issues the first version had. That is, the high front neckline, and the narrow shoulders. Here is the result:


There is a big improvement in the comfort factor with this version. To address the neckline issue,  I lowered the centre front neckline by 1.5cm and blended. To lengthen the shoulder seams, I slashed from the midpoint on the shoulder seam over to the armhole, leaving a hinge, and added 2cm in length.


I experimented with fusible web to support the twin-stitched hems on both my Frankies. On the thick cotton jersey of the first version, this worked fine. On this version, the web was a bit too stiff. So for the sleeve hems I just blind stitched, which I’ve decided is now my preferred knit hem option. It’s easy to do, you don’t have to muck around with ironing on the webbing, and it stands up to wear.

The other improvement was to use a knit with a bit of drape to it. This is a poly knit I picked up from the Remnant Warehouse website. It feels nice, and works nicely with the A-line shape of the top. However, it’s one of those polys that doesn’t breathe, so I can only wear it on cooler days. Anything over about 23C, and I feel sticky. Eergh. So I will be on the lookout for some drapey jersey from a natural fibre to make the next version.

Happy sewing, everyone!

Comments

  1. Your improvements must have worked out as your top turned out beautifully. I have similar issues with Tessuti patterns - I usually have to lower the neckline at least 1.5cm so I don't feel like it is choking me. The Frankie was no different in that regard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Siobhan. I've made a few Tessuti patterns now, and thinking about it, they definitely lean towards the high side in the neckline department - but Frankie was definitely "up there".

      Delete
  2. I think your new top does look better although I hate writing that because it seems to imply your other Frankie top doesn't ( and it did look good ! ) interesting that Siobhan also has the same issue . Seems like your weather has gone from crazy hot to crazy wet ! So hope you aren't getting flooded. ( wish we could distribute the water better. It is dry here and we rely on tank water and my husband forgot to turn off the tap all night after watering fruit trees - hmmmm ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, Janine - the other Frankie does look pretty good, it's only on the wearing side that there are issues!
      A respite from the rain today. Lakes of water everywhere, and the smell of rotting vegetation is getting a bit much! Wish I could send you some of this water...

      Delete
  3. Your pattern adjustments have worked out very well Paola. This is a lovely top and I'm sure it will be a favourite after this sticky weather passes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying to wear it, but don't last long in it yet. I'll give it a few more weeks.

      Delete
  4. I also find the Tessuti patterns too high at the front, as well as too tight in the sleeves.

    Your top is lovely - gorgeous colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yes, Tessuti definitely drafts a narrow sleeve. But this is narrower than most!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2

Me Made May 16 - Week 1