MBM - Style Arc Autumn dress

Almost as soon as the notification for Style Arc’s  new Autumn pattern arrived in the inbox, I was ordering my copy.   
Jean and Lara have featured Tencel makes on their blogs recently, which reminded me of how much I loved a pair of Tencel jeans I had back in the day. So I went and bought a couple of metres of Tencel at Spotlight  and waited for  inspiration. The Tencel’s drape works really well in this pattern. It is actually one of the recommended fabrics (and it looks like Style Arc made their sample in the same fabric).

Style Arc's description of the pattern:

 AUTUMN DRESS: You will love this versatile dress that can be worn on any occasion. The knife pleat down the front and the crossed over knife pleat falling from the back yoke makes this dress a flattering alternative to add to your wardrobe. The extended shoulder line along with the stitched front detail, shirt tail hem line and inseam pockets really sets this great dress apart from the rest.

This is a pattern that doesn't make a lot of demands as far as fit is concerned.  I made a 2.5cm FBA, and lengthened the dress by 5cm. I wish I had added another 2cm or so, because it is a bit short for my liking, although family consensus is “it’s fine”. I just don’t like showing my knees all that much.
Pockets - almost always a good thing in a dress

The dress came together well. Style Arc seems to be including more detailed directions in it’s patterns lately , and there are some diagrams to show how to put the shirt collar together. However, I went and dug out my Sewaholic Granville pattern and followed the shirt collar construction directions there. What’s worked before…
This is the fifth shirt tail hem I’ve done in the past year - you can just about make it out in this photo. I wonder how long this trend will stick around for?

The cross over pleat in the back was the clincher for me. I've seen this a bit in RTW and I like the look. The back has a fair bit of volume as a result.

I’ve received good feedback on this dress. It got an airing over the Easter weekend at a family lunch. It’s really comfortable to wear (even if a tad short) and will be great  next summer. (It’s starting to get a bit chilly here, so I don’t see myself wearing this too often in the near future.) P.S. Isn't that tibouchina a cracker - love this time of year.








Comments

  1. Ten el is a really lovely fabric - I've never seen it in that interesting olive colour before. I love the little details Style Arc put in their patterns and you pulled this one off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Siobhan. I'm a big fan of Style Arc (I have more Style Arc patterns than any other, not counting my stash of Burda magazines) - for their fit, their draft and their designs.

      Delete
  2. Lovely dress and your photos are just glorious with those beautiful purple flowers as a backdrop for the olive green of your outfit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Very proud of that tree - it was a shrub about 3 foot tall when we moved here nearly 14 years ago and now it's this magnificent specimen!

      Delete
  3. Oh this is just fabulous Paola. Love the colour of the tencel too. The length is perfect and the dress suits you very well. Your tibouchina is stunning too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. That olive colour is one I used to wear quite a lot, but stopped. I think I'll need to re-introduce some more of this colour in the wardrobe.

      Delete
  4. Love this 'smart casual' look - the necklace you picked is perfect too ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "smart casual" vibe is one of the things I liked about this dress too.

      Delete
  5. That's very stylish. Perfect fabric choice for the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very stylish dress and I need to check out the Tender fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon! Apart from being very nice to wear, Tencel is easy to work with. Double win'

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MBM - Style Arc Avery

Me Made May 16 - Week 3

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic, Version 2