Posts

Showing posts from January, 2017

MBM - Burda 06-2013#120 shirtdress

Image
Reading the recent round of New Year’s sewing resolutions for 2017, the intention to sew from the blogger’s back issues of Burda was mentioned a few times.  This is a resolution I definitely identify with. I’ve intended to make this shirtdress, since I bought the June 2013 issue of Burda in Rome. So, like, 3-and-a-half years.  And I’ve done it! Finally… I really liked this shirtdress, especially the curved pockets. Here is the technical drawing. I added a centre back seam, for swayback adjustment purposes. The fabric is a cotton poplin I bought at the Remnant Warehouse quite a while ago, specifically with this pattern in mind. I cut a 40 bust and 42 waist and hip. Then I made a 1”FBA and a 1”full bicep adjustment. Then I added 12cm length, as ever with Burda. This was a fairly straightforward sew, but there were a few tricky new-to-me constructions, particularly around the collar. Having bought this in Rome, my issue is in Italian, naturally. So I got to practice my somewhat rusty I…

MBM - Style Arc Rae Tunic

Image
First of all, thanks for those of you who answered my plaintive cry for pointers as to how to jazz up the design of this blog for 2017. I now have a few leads that I hope to follow up in the coming weeks. Again, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, and... watch this space.

On to the sewing...

One of the many things I like about sewing Style Arc patterns is the “buy one, get one free” pattern buying policy they have. Sure, the “free” pattern offered isn’t always to my taste, even when Style Arc offers a choice. I’ve been known to hold off on a pattern purchase to see whether the patterns offered in the following month suit me better. Anyway, I do have Style Arc patterns that I’ll probably never make up, but by the same token, patterns come in the front door that I probably would never have considered, but should have. The Rae tunic, which was the free pattern for November is an example.
I purchased Adeline, and chose Rae, as my free pattern with no real intention of making it.…

2017 sewing resolutions

Image
At this time of year, I enjoy reading yearly sewing Roundups, and resolutions people have for their sewing in the New Year. I’ve done Roundups in the past, but as 2016 was such a patchy year sewing-wise, I’ll pass this year. Suffice to say I made some things I liked a lot – Paprika Patterns Jasper, for example – and I had some big fat fails, most unblogged. Swings and roundabouts.
As for resolutions, I’ve decided to declare two:
1.I will make a Style Arc Stacie Jean Jacket this year.
This project has been hovering in the queue for years. There’s something about this project that intimidates me into procrastination though. I don’t know why. The need is there – my 15 year old RTW jacket has faded to almost silver, and is fraying around the collar and cuffs. I have the pattern. I have the perfect denim. I have the buttons. I have everything but the courage. I will definitely have to ask my mother if I can borrow her machine, so I can have one machine threaded up for topstitching. Switchi…

MBM - Style Arc Adeline

Image
When I saw Style Arc’s Adeline pattern on its release last year, I pegged it immediately as the ideal candidate for a Christmas dress.  With a lack of waist definition, it is Christmas lunch friendly, and loose enough to withstand inevitable Christmas Day heat in comfort. I chose some linen I had in the stash bought from Tessuti online about 2 years ago. This was what Tessuti called Wainscot linen, and the colour was described on the website as “Indigo”. On the monitor it looked to be a mid-dark blue.   Well, indigo turned out to be more sky blue than I bargained for, so the pants I had planned got shelved. Fortunately, though, to me there is no such thing as bad linen, so I knew that if the fabric just marinated in the stash for a while, I would eventually find some use for it. This was just one of many surprises I’ve had with purchasing linen online. I made Adeline pretty much as is out of the packet, except I added 3cm in length because frankly,  I don’t like showing my kneecaps t…

MBM - Liesl + Co Gallery Tunic

Image
First of all, Happy 2017. Well! That was a long and unexpected blog hiatus! After my last post in July, life got exceptionally busy. Sewing slowed to a trickle, blogging stopped dead. Two reasons:  First, I started working longer hours. On top of that, most of my remaining  spare time was sucked into an activity vortex known as house building, so I was spending vast slabs of my weekends traipsing around stores doing things like picking carpets, tiles, furniture, and countless other tiny details for the house. The house that I mentioned that we were going to build in 2015, in my 2014 wrap up post.The house that didn’t start to be built  until 2016, thanks to a crazy bush fire rating, and a LOT of toing and froing with the local council which took up 2015.  As I write this at the beginning of 2017, I can say it’s finally finished! Yippee! The house building process was time consuming, as well as exciting and exhausting by turns. We had the good fortune to have a great local builder wo…