MBM - Tessuti Frankie
The Tessuti Frankie pattern has been high in the queue, pretty much since it was released last year. It’s taken me a while to get to the point of posting a result though.
The first attempt failed, because I mistook a PDF joining line for centre back, and cut the back about 5cm too narrow. When I took the piece to the sewing machine, it was immediately obvious it was too narrow, but it took me ages to figure out why. There’s was no going back from that one, especially I had no fabric to cut another back.
I'm blaming my husband. He printed the pattern off for me at work, but because of some printing kerfuffle, the print came to me out of order. So I was confused (or more confused than normal :))
So this is the second attempt.
The fabric is quite a thick cotton jersey from Spotlight that I picked up on a 40% off sale. The jersey is probably a bit too thick for this pattern, but I liked the print so I went with it.
The Frankie comes in three dress lengths, and four sleeve lengths. This is the top length, with elbow length sleeves. I cut a Size Medium, which is what I normally cut in a Tessuti pattern. I made a 1”FBA, and added width to the sleeves by slashing the sleeve pattern piece from bottom to top, leaving a hinge. I spread the bottom by 5cm. That strikes me as quite a lot to add to a sleeve. I normally have to add some width, but my normal 1”was nowhere near enough.
The jersey print was off-grain. Sigh. Just had to do my best with that!
Sewing the pattern was straightforward. The front neckline is turned and stitched. The back neckline has a facing, which wraps over the shoulder seam allowance for a neat finish. The facing is topstitched down.
The resulting t-shirt is wearable (even if the fabric is a bit heavy for the hottest days of summer), but I have some reservations which I will address in future versions. The front neckline is high on me, so I’ll cut that a bit lower next time. But the big bugbear is the short shoulder seams, which end about 1.5cm short of my shoulder “points” (hope that makes sense). I suppose that is the design, because adding length to shoulder seams is not something I’ve had to do before. Anyway, I find it annoying, so I’ll be adding length here next time.
I’ve had a few nice comments about the top, and I will wear it as is, even with my reservations. I would really like to improve the fit of this pattern, because I think a version in wool jersey for winter would be something to aim for.